Tuesday, 17 May 2016

Display - Ulrik the Slayer - WIP #1

Continuing on with my consistent inconsistency, I've finally managed to sit down and write a new post. Work is continuing to bust my balls so painting time has been at a bit of a premium still.

However I have been focusing on a display level piece (well my display level at any rate), which is due to be entered into my local Warhammer Stores Birthday painting challenge competition at the start of June.

The competition itself is to paint a model at random (pulled from a sack of clam packs) using four randomly chosen colours (again pulled from a sack). The four colours have to be clearly visible on the bulk of the model, but otherwise you are free to use other paints to finish the model off.

In a nice twist of fate I pulled out the new Ulrik the Slayer model. Cool. I then picked up the following paints:
  • Mechanicus Standard Grey
  • Kalabite Green
  • Deathworld Forest
  • Wild Rider Red
Needless to say I decided to go with grey armour as it'll fit in with my current army if I ever decide I need two wolf priests. It'll also be easier to shade it down into black once the competition is over.

As reputation amongst friends dictates I started with the head. Whilst I used flesh tones for the base colours and highlights I did make some effort to incorporate the four colours above, mixing the Deathworld Forest and Wild Rider red to use as part of the shading.

The hair was basecoated with Mechanicus and highlighted up to a light grey.

I've also started work on the Crozius, which I decided would be a good place to use two of the main colours. The main part was painted with Kalabite Green, going for a vaguely glassy or polished stone effect. The haft/handle will be red, with Wild Rider red making up the top layer of highlights. The second picture shows this.

The skull was painted with Rakarth Flesh and shaded with Mechanicus Standard Grey before being highlighted up to Palid Witch Flesh.

I'm hoping to get another update in again this week to try and get things back on a regular schedule, to that end I've already started work on the leg assembly.


Post a Comment