Sunday 12 October 2014

Dark Eldar - Urien Rakarth - WIP #1

Just a brief update this week, and as stated last weekend I have a WIP of Urien Rakarth to show off. The skin is still in it's early stages and I am tinkering with some ideas for the rest of him (for example painting the worm heads a different colour to the bodies.)

The skin is a basecoat of Rakarth Flesh washed with Eshin Grey (mixed with some Matt & Glaze Mediums). This has given a quite ashen feel to the model which I like, though I will most likely add some Reikland Fleshshade & Carroburg Crimson into the deeper recesses as it perhaps lacks a little bit of depth.


I don't normally go in for GW Painting Guides or Supplements, but Dark Eldar are very much my first army so I decided to treat myself. I've not gone through the Coven's Supplement in any detail but I have had a flick through the painting guide.

Call me crazy but if I were releasing a premium product I'd want to show off the product to the best of my ability, yet the models throughout are uninspiring and messy. I can only assume that the armies are painted to show the standard a person would achieve using the painting stage by stage guides contained within, and to a moderate tabletop quality. However I can't help but feel that the whole thing was rushed in order to get it out of the door in time for the codex release.

The biggest use for me though is to see how they've utilised paints across the whole range to select colours as highlight colours & tones. To me this is something that a more advanced painter could use as the basis of painting a particular colour (mixing Fenrisan Grey into Xersus Purple as a highlight tone for example).

To sum up, I'm not particularly disappointed in the book itself either, it does have some interesting fluff and is well presented, and the stage by stage parts will help with my colour choice. But I'd not buy another one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment