Monday 4 May 2015

Horus Heresy - Shattered Legion - Paint In Progress #3

Originally I had planned to do the flames on these models in the traditional yellow/red colours. However having completed the first I wasn't convinced that the look was appropriate for the overall effect I wanted to achieve with this force.

My feeling was that it brightened up the models too much, and bright isn't something I associate with the remnants of an army that has had the crap beaten out of it. From a practical painting point of view I also felt that a lot of the effect would be lost if I added battle damage (something I do intend to do still).

Flame Pattern Painting
Therefore I decided to repaint the flames in the gold colour which I feel added a more utilitarian feel whilst maintaining the ornate feeling of customisation on the armour. It's also a simpler effect to achieve.

Sergeant and Legionnaire 
Legionnaires
As you can see from the photos the Legion symbol has been base coated in white, I'm not sure yet quite how to finish off the white so will come back to that.

Finally I had to have a go at the sergeants face as I've been itching to paint that since I started the squad. Working from a black basecoat I mixed in yellow/white to add highlights, and followed this up with glazes of Nuln Oil. The eye was painted yellow and glazed with red.

Sergeants Face
I'll be detailing how to do the face more specifically in the second salamanders scheme post I do (once I have figured out the last few bits and pieces).

Tactical Squad

0 comments:

Post a Comment