Sunday 18 January 2015

Horus Heresy - Ultramarine Captain - WIP #1

Work decided to get the better of me last week and forced me to mess around with my usual schedule, hence the lack of update. Since then however I have been back on the bandwagon and thus we have todays effort.

I last did anything on this guy back in June. To all intent and purpose he is undergoing a complete repaint so I have labelled this post WIP #1.

So far the armour has been repainted and the gold is beginning to get basecoats and shading. The armour is painted with several blue's from the Scale 75 Sky and Ice set. However I have found that, as these paints are quite translucent it is best to work them over a GW Basecoat paint. In this case I used Kantor Blue.

The colours will be pretty much replicated as they stand on other areas, so the cape will be red with a white inner, whilst the pad rim, helmet crest and kneepad will be white.


I added a transfer to the shoulder pad prior to damaging up the pad. I am guessing that I didn't leave enough time for the varnish to dry before applying it as the Micro Set dissolved the varnish I had painted on (I didn't bother to replace it). It also damaged the paintwork so I need to retouch the highlights here as well.

This was also my third attempt at adding a transfer as I wasn't sure where to add cuts to aid it going on smoothly.


The metal areas are so far basecoated with Leadbelcher and washed with Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade.


The battle damage was applied with a sponge, starting with Rhinox Hide and followed up with Leadbelcher and Ironbreaker. I used Vallejo Metallic Medium to paint the brightest chips.

These areas were also glazed with thinned Steel Legion Drab, with multiple glazes being added to the lower greaves and feet to simulate dust and earth.

0 comments:

Post a Comment