Sunday 12 April 2015

Horus Heresy - Shattered Legion - Paint In Progress #1

Good God does using an airbrush require some finesse! Too much pressure and you end up with a nice wet splodge of paint; too little and you have a kind of blobby splatter effect. Still, it's all part of the learning curve, and the CRPlus is definitely a vast improvement on the cheapy one (it has a smoother motion on the button for one thing).

This week I have made some reasonable progress, completing the black and green sprays so far, which means moving forward I'll be focusing on the brush work.

I decided to do Vulkan after the bulk of the army as I figure I'll probably have learned a few things doing the infantry and Contemptor that I can then apply to Vulkan.

Airbrushing

Turns out I also decided to fling paint all over the airbrush area (I don't recommend shaking a bottle of paint without a lid firmly attached)... In fact it was one of those sessions where everything went wrong (compressor playing silly buggers, clogging airbrushes etc. etc.)... sigh...

Still as I started out by saying, the black and green spraying is done. This means that there is some zenithal style highlights already in place (woo!).

Batch Spray Job

Liquid Mask

This is my first time working with Liquid Mask as well. I'm not sure whether I was to vigorous in removing it, left it on the model for too long or whether the primer hadn't adhered to the models properly but in some places I found it tough to remove. In some cases it even took the paint with it. Not a big deal as it is all a learning curve and easy to rectify when painting.

I did discover that a gentle scrub over the area with a wet toothbrush before using blu tack to remove the mask generated the best results for me.

Balls.
Should be easy enough to touch up.

Paint In Progress

Post Spray Legionnaires
Post Spray Fire Drakes
Post Spray Pyroclasts
Next up for the Salamanders will be getting edge highlights to all the sharp edges of the armour.I've also started work on the Iron Hands, and the scheme has started to come together really nicely. I'll have more on them soon.

Post Spray Iron Hands

1 comment:

  1. thinking of starting 30k salamanders and these post have been a real help. your scheme is the right type of characterful but "down to earth" so they don't look cartoony.

    ReplyDelete