Wednesday 11 March 2015

Horus Heresy - Shattered Legion - Building Vulkan #1

As it turned out I had more than enough photo's and blabbering to stretch this to two posts. So here's a 'bonus' midweek post with the rest to follow on Sunday...

Ok so technically Vulkan goes AWOL around about the time that the shattering of the 3 Legions happens, but I wanted to include him in my force because the model is cool, and a Primarch makes for a great center piece. Besides it wouldn't be a huge leap for me to make this force a Crusade era one either.

I had hoped to complete the Pyroclast builds before starting work on Vulkan, but I was away from home this week so decided to spend some time with this build. Rather than gluing him together, I ended up pinning most of the parts together to facilitate painting, as I wanted to do some pre-shading with primer before applying paint (a technique I plan to use for the whole army).

Likewise I've never seen a specific build log crop up so I thought I'd take some photo's throughout the process and demonstrate the steps I went through in putting the model together.

Box of Bits - cleaned and ready for clipping

Building the Display base

A pretty straightforward step this one, mostly just taking the time to clip off all the bits of flash and injection points. As with all Primarch's the 40mm base that they come on slots into this larger 60mm scenic base. In order to ensure a nice snug fit when in his display base I'll be magnetising the rear rubble segment so that it can be removed easily but remain held in place as well.

Parts needed for the base
Examples of areas where resin has been removed. The thick chunk has been cut off in sections to ensure I don't damage the model. 
As above area in red needs to be removed. Chunks of removed resin in the top right.
Scenic base placed onto 60mm base. The 40mm base is then test fitted into it's slot. 
Dry fit of the rear rubble segment. As mentioned this will be magnetised.
Second casualty added to base. I plan to remove him post-priming for painting. 
Rubble pieces added. I noticed the larger one may impact whether I can remove the casualty post-priming
Removed back piece and 40mm base and added the insert display piece to the 40mm base.
Finished.
At this point the pieces have been dry fitted together and as yet no glue has been applied. As noted during the building there is the casualty that I would like to remove to paint but I need to see if the larger rubble piece gets in the way of this. I am also tempted to add some metal spurs to the rubble chunks to add a bit more detail.

The 'artistic' shot



0 comments:

Post a Comment