Sunday 22 March 2015

Horus Heresy - Shattered Legion WIP #5

I'm finally coming towards the end of this build now, with just the Praetor now needing to be built. This means that I have finished up the Pyroclasts and assembled the Fire Drakes this week. I have to say that assembling models is now beginning to get tiresome and I am itching to break out the paint brushes.

Fire Drakes

Fire Drake Components
Assembling the Fire Drakes proved to be a bit of a chore due to one minor issue. Once assembled it is not easy to get the helmets into or out of the body cavity. Wanting to undercoat the models in one piece (but paint the heads separately to get to the details,) I needed to ensure that I would be able to remove the heads easily and without damage to any of the surrounding area.

Building

It all revolves around pinning again. In this case I needed to pin the torso to the legs but also allow the two parts of the torso to separate easily.

This was achieved by using the rear part of the torso as the anchor holding the whole model together. Pins were drilled allowing the legs and arms to be attached allowing me to remove them for painting if required.

Attaching rear torso to the legs
Attaching the two halves of the torso
Attaching the arms to the torso. 

Granted it all seems like a lot of effort up front for what could potentially be small gains in the painting department, but as much as anything else it is an experiment, trying out new methods to ultimately help speed along the painting process.

After pinning the torso together I glued the hands onto the arms (no pins at this point) and test fitted the models.

Fire Drake Legionnaires #1
Fire Drake Legionnaires #2
Fire Drake Master
Fire Drake Squad

Pyroclasts

I finally managed to get these guys assembled and pinned. Unfortunately at the moment I don't have any other model shots, but here is one showing the assembled squad ready for priming (Note the GS on the bases - this is used to add a bit of variation to the level of the base. I'll be doing a quick post on how I do my bases soon).

Pyroclast Squad

0 comments:

Post a Comment