Sunday 20 April 2014

Sedition Wars - Phaedrus Chirurge WIP #4

Further progress on Phaedrus this week has seen the armour move towards a more reddish hue. I really like the colours on the Studio McVey scheme so chose to replicate to a degree.

At this stage the armour is complete and I have reworked the skin tones. More work may well happen on this but I plan to fill in the remaining details before I play with it further.

My usual camera was not available so these photo's are a little darker than normal.



Painting The Red Armour

All paints are the current range GW

  • Naggaroth Night
  • Incubi Darkness
  • Rhinox Hide
  • Screamer Pink
  • Khorne Red
  • Evil Sunz Red
  • Rakarth Flesh
  • White Scar

Mixes

These mixes were used at various stages throughout painting
Purple #1 - Naggaroth Night 1:1 Screamer Pink
Red #1 - Khorne Red 1:1 Rhinox Hide. Add a dot of Incubi Darkness

Red

Basecoat - Purple Mix #1
Wash - Rakarth Flesh with a dot of Incubi Darkness
First Layer - A 1:1 ratio of Purple Mix #1 & Red Mix #1
Second Layer - Evil Sunz Red 2:1 Red Mix #1
Third Layer - Evil Sunz Red 4:1 Red Mix #1
Edge - Evil Sunz Red 2:1 White Scar

Technique

I originally painted the purple as this was the tone I planned to use. However I really like the scheme that the newer Strain have been painted in so I decide to attempt to emulate. I kept the purple base though as it provided a good tone to paint the red onto, and a natural progression.

First I gave the purple a wash of Rakarth Flesh into the recesses. The idea being to show the soft flesh between the armour plates. I was relatively sloppy in this as the first layer was planned to cover this up.

Each layer was then progressively painted onto smaller bands of the armour plates, focusing more on the areas that would naturally be in the light. The third layer especially is only painted onto a small area, marginally thicker than the final edge highlight.

I add a bit of glaze medium to my mixes too as it helps thin the paints and helps them go on in a smooth even layer.

2 comments:

  1. Loving the red chance of close ups dude?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll see what I can do once the decent camera is returned.

      Delete