Monday 3 August 2015

Eldar - Iyanden - Wraithlord WIP #3

So the house moving has now toddled along at full steam for a few weeks and now the bulk of all the hard work is (hopefully) done and baring one final insurance hunt I can sit back and take a breather. I have managed to get some painting done however, but organising this into a coherent blog post has proved elusive.

Now I have been bitten by the Age of Sigmar bug (more on that next time), but before I started down that route I chose to re-visit my Iyanden Eldar Wraithlord to see if I can tighten up the paintwork.

The original scheme only had Cassandora Yellow as the shade. This is fine for the most part (and by applying as a wash added some nice shading to the armour panels) but I felt the model needed a bit more contrast. I thinned some Doombull brown with Lahmian Medium and carefully painted into the recesses. Edges were redone with Dorn Yellow with small areas of White Scar added at the corners and other sharp points.

The blue has also been re-done. Originally I tried to wet-blend the highlights but ended up with an effect that was far from smooth. I used a little bit of sandpaper to smooth out the roughness and worked the blue up again from Kantor Blue adding Fenrisian Grey to make highlights. I gave the blue a few glazes of Guilliman Blue before trying out the new Forgeworld Calth Blue.

Now the FW paints are designed for an airbrush so I was curious to see what would happen if brushed on. So far, well, it's a little streaky for my liking but warrants further investigation. It did give a nice tone though.

The sword has been re-blended from a base of Dechala Lilac (over a white undercoat) down through Genestealer & Xereus Purple and Naggaroth night. It has then had several thinned glazes of Vallejo Purple Ink to give it some extra shine. I found this a vast improvement over my original attempt which started out with a Genestealer purple base and attempts to blend both ways.



The picture below shows the Wraithlord as it stands now. You can see the areas that have recieved the update to the paint scheme so far. The shot below really shows the difference it has made to the model. The black, yellow and purple areas that have been completed are of a standard I am happy with, and you can see the added contrast that they now have. The blue still requires some thought though (and maybe the aid of the airbrush if I try the Calth Blue again).


The Wraithlord has been put away again, as Age of Sigmar has taken my painting focus for much of the last fortnight. This is due to actually getting games in locally and an agreement with my opponent that (having played our first game) we will now only play with painted models. It is quite the incentive...

0 comments:

Post a Comment